Monday, June 23, 2008

Travelogue

This has been a great few weeks. We had a fabulous family vacation at Great Wolf Lodge - we forgot our camera so sorry, no pics. We loved hanging out with the Hirschis for 3 days!

Leslie and I went to see a great show called "The Last 5 Years". The music is FABULOUS! Dale did a great job as "Jamie" but the girl wasn't so great. Too young maybe...or maybe Im just getting old and cynical.

We found out we are having a boy and a girl! Greg Templeman wanted to know if they were identical.....he was totally serious.

I took a hike with my girls at Silver Falls. Neither of them wanted to ride in the stroller so I was trying to navigate 2 babies while pushing a double stroller (that pulls to the left) on the narrow path. Not the best idea i've ever had.

This morning we went to pick strawberries. My girls loved it - they immedietly took off their shoes and ran until they were exausted. Megan was covered in strawberries - it looked like she was bloody. We got alot of looks when we went to Taco Del Mar afterward for lunch.

Right now we are dealing with behavior issues with the girls. They have a hard time being obedient. The worst is when they are playing outside with friends and it is time to come inside. They WILL NOT COME! I literally have to pick them up kicking and screaming and bring them into the house. On Sunday, Michael took the girls for a bike ride to a friends house and when it was time to leave, the same thing happened, only Hannah yelled out to her friends: Help me! It is so embarrasing. Anyone have ideas?

I started rehearsals for my next show. We are having rehearsals at the directors house which is great because he always has food and drinks. Much better than a rehearsal studio.

I sang at a wedding on Saturday. The bride wore TEAL. It was a little shocking. Do you have to be a virgin to wear white? Is teal the next option? The wedding started 30 min late because the groom had an allergy attack and his face swelled up so he looked like "the son of satan" (direct quote).

Tomorrow I think we'll go to the library....really exciting!

5 comments:

Natalie said...

Sorry, no advice on behavior issues with the girls. If you spend time with mine, you'll know I'm not worthy of parenting advice.

Ok, not wearing white as a wedding dress is kind of understandable. I've seen some nice alternative options. A lot of people now are wearing a colored sash thing with their wedding dresses. But TEAL? Sick! Was it a left-over dress from the prom back in 1990?

Sounds like you're making the most of your summer. Good for you for hiking with your girls. I'm lucky if I make the walk to Target nowadays without stopping at the ampm for a snack. The marathon is looking awefully long.

Amy said...

Hey - we were at the libary today! Must have missed you.

Congrats on the identical twin boy and girl! LOL! So exciting!

The behavior issues are tough. I do find it helps quite a bit to tell Soren that it is "two minutes until we go inside (or whatever)." It still doesn't totally take care of the problem, but it helps.

Have you tried time outs when they throw a fit? We also do that - he's welcome to cry and scream all he wants...he just has to do it in the bathroom because we tell him we don't want to hear it. Makes him mad, but he knows he can come out when he's talking nicely again. Good luck!

Cassie and Chad said...

Congrats on the boy and girl. I want to see pictures!!! Wow you are in a play right now? What character are you playing while prego? It sounds like you are feeling better, I love the blog updates, keep them coming!!!

Prestwich Family said...

I'm with Amy on the warning thing. I always tell my kids that we will be leaving in 5-10 min. Some kids have a really hard time with just stopping what they are doing and winding down. Sometimes they just need a heads up. And another thing is to warn them ahead of time that if they do not come in when it is time or throw a fit they will not be able to play the next time. And you have to stick with your guns on that. Even if it is easier for them to be outside they will soon learn when they are sitting inside seeing all the kids outside having a good time that they better behave next time. Megan is still kind of young, but she will certainly get the picture and learn from the behavior that Hannah shows. Good luck! Make sure you let us know when the show is!

Daniel and Leslie said...

OOOOH. Advice. Not being a parent, I'm sure I'm loaded with great advice. Aren't most people? The warning idea is great. But the follow through is the most important. If you tell her 3 minutes....make sure it is 3 minutes and not 5 or ten or any longer. Kids are really smart and they pay attention to those things. If you don't hold up to your end of the bargain, they will begin not to trust you with what you tell them. Be persistent. Ok that is my bit of "non" parental advice. You can be my Guinea Pig. :) I know it will work though.